Skip to main content

M60s in MASSTER Camouflage

This was a project to paint a platoon of M60A1s in the MASSTER scheme, circa 1975. This was a camo scheme that came before MERDC and was used in Germany by the US 7th Army. Its use continued for a time after the introduction of MERDC in US units. Tankograd books on Reforger exercises of 1976 and 1977 show US units wearing either scheme. This is a camo scheme that seems, to me anyway, inappropriate for Germany, but it appears to have been widely used. I got to Germany in the spring 1976. I don't recall noticing this pattern in the 2nd Brigade of the 8th Infantry Division. My battalion, the 1-39 Infantry, was still painted in olive drab. We repainted in MERDC in the late spring of that year.

The full platoon


Comparison of MASSTER to MERDC

I couldn't find any references that showed any officially approved patterns for this scheme and the photos I did find of vehicles wearing MASSTER showed great variety in patterns. I based my interpretation on tanks belonging to 3-64 Armor of the 3rd armored Division (Link to examples of MASSTER camouflage) to include what appears to have been retaining the OD in the running gear portion of the tanks. I also noted that MASSTER painted vehicles often wore black stars, so I put them on my models. Much thanks to Flight Deck Decals ) for making these available.

Judging the colors was a process of looking at as many examples of the scheme as I could find and compensating for apparent light conditions then trying to get the right tones. I think I got fairly close.

Models are GHQ 1:285 M60s.

Comments

  1. Great job on both MASSTER and MERDC schemes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks. These schemes are challenging for me to paint at this scale with the MERDC being the most stressful, but the results are very satisfying.

    Again, thanks for the comment and the visit to my website.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

Mein Panzer Cold War - Hide and Seek
  Soviet WW2 Figures